[RESOLVED] Fc_compute_roifc problems

Description:

I am looking at changes in fc among several regions from pre-task rest through several repetitions of the task to post task rest. fc_compute_roifc. seems to be perfect for my purposes. However, I have difficulties running it.

Call:

RAStudy="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA"
cd $RAStudy

qunex_container fc_compute_roifc \
--bolds="rest|$RAStudy/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii" \
--roiinfo="$RAStudy/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names" \
--frames="$RAStudy/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|RS:rest:s0:e0" \
--targetf="$RAStudy/analysis/fcROI" \
--options="roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use,fidl|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN" \
--container="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/software/Singularity/qunex_suite-0.97.3.sif"

Error message:

Running:
>>> fc_compute_roifc('rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|RS:rest:s0:e0', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI', 'roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use,fidl|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN')

Options used:
------------
 roimethod: mean
 eventdata: all
    ignore: use,fidl
 badevents: use
 fcmeasure: r
   saveind: txt
   verbose: true
     debug: true
    fcname: DMN_SN

Checking ...
... found results folder (/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI)
     ... creating ROI mask
     ... reading image file(s) ... 420 frames read, done.
     ... generating extraction sets ...
Options used:
------------
    ignore: use,fidl
   saveind: {txt}

Matlab Error! Processing Failed!
bsxfun: dimensions of A and B must match

ERROR: fc_compute_roifc failed! Please check output / log!

Logs:

No log files produced

** For an example of how to report an issue, please refer to this post.

Helen, hi!

I reviewed the files on grace and it seems there are two issues. First, your fidl file is not a valid fidl file. If you want the FC to be computed on the whole timeseries, then use “0” as input to --frames parmeter. Second, there seems to be a bug in the code and the default value for subjectname is not set, so it needs to be set explicitly. I have a problem running singularity on grace, but I tested the changed command on our severs, an this should work:

--bolds="rest|$RAStudy/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii" \
--roiinfo="$RAStudy/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names" \
--frames="0" \
--options="roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use,fidl|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=" \

Please, give it a try and let me know if issues persist.

In the upcoming version of QuNex (> 0.99.3) the issue with subjectname is already addressed.

Hi Grega,
Unfortunately this did not help.
I tried several different versions of parameters.
Setting frames to “0”

--frames="0" \
--options="roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use,fidl|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=" \

produced this error:

... could not find fidlfile (0), please check your paths!
ERROR: Fidl file was not found. Please check the path!\n\n

Setting subjectname=pb1719 produced the same error.

Revising fidl file and including subjectname produced the same error as before.
So, it does look like it is about the fidl file.
Do you have a sample fidl file to share? I tried many-many different formats.
Thank you.

If I use a fidl file:

0.8	rest	
0	0	336 

and a call

--bolds="rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii" \
--roiinfo="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names" \
--frames="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|rest:s0:e0" \
--targetf="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI" \
--options="roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=pb1719" \
--container="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/software/Singularity/qunex_suite-0.98.6a.sif"

I get this error:

Running:
>>> fc_compute_roifc('rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|rest:s0:e0', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI', 'roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=pb1719')

Options used:
------------
      ignore: use
 subjectname: pb1719

Checking ...
... found results folder (/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI)
     ... creating ROI mask
Options used:
------------

operator /: nonconformant arguments (op1 is 1x1, op2 is 0x0)

I see you are using an older version of the container, did you try with the latest release one - 0.99.2d?

Jure

Yes, I tried many different containers, including this one.

--bolds="rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii" \
--roiinfo="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names" \
--frames="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|rest:s0:e0" \
--options="roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=pb1719" \
--container="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/software/Singularity/qunex_suite-0.99.2d.sif"

Same error.

Running:
>>> fc_compute_roifc('rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc.fidl|rest:s0:e0', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI', 'roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=pb1719')

Options used:
------------

Checking ...
     ... creating ROI mask
Options used:
------------

Or

--frames="0" \

Returns this

>>> fc_compute_roifc('rest|/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/bold1_Atlas_s_hpss_res-mVWMWB1d.dtseries.nii', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/GlasserParcellation/ROIs/SN_DMN.GlasserParcellation.names', '0', '/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/analysis/fcROI', 'roimethod=mean|eventdata=all|ignore=use|badevents=use|fcmeasure=r|saveind=txt|verbose=true|debug=true|fcname=DMN_SN|subjectname=pb1719')

Options used:
------------

Checking ...
     ... creating ROI mask
Options used:
------------
... could not find fidlfile (0), please check your paths!

ERROR: Fidl file was not found. Please check the path!\n\n

Helen,

Try changing your fidl file to:

0.8 rest
0 0 336

I tried it:

0.8 rest
0 0 336

But getting the same error:

type or Running:

Options used:
------------

Checking ...
     ... creating ROI mask
Options used:
------------

ERROR: fc_compute_roifc failed! Please check output / log!paste code here

Helen,

I will need to get help fixing my access to singularity on grace, so that I can run the same container in your environment and resolve the issue. Let me come back with a fix for you.

Thank you Grega - I really appreciate your time.

Ok! Mysteries resolved.

First, your fidl file started with non-ascii characters. It might be, that it was written in an app that added BOM to the file. To resolve that, I created a new file w/o BOM:

/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc_g.fidl

Second, in your frames parameter, the name of the extraction set was missing. The full specification of the extraction has to be:

'<fidlfile>|<extraction name>:<event list>:<extraction start>:<extraction end>'

I corrected the specification to:

--frames="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc_g.fidl|rest:rest:s0:e0"

And third, e0 denotes the first frame after the end of the event. This was now outside of the timeseries, so the event was skipped. The correct specification is:

--frames="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc_g.fidl|rest:rest:s0:e-1"

and the full command call:

--frames="/gpfs/gibbs/pi/n3/Studies/Pushkarskaya.RA/sessions/pb1719/images/functional/events/restfc_g.fidl|rest:rest:s0:e-1" \

I have tested it out and it works.

===> Successful completion of task

Grega - Thank you so much!!!

Grega, thanks for your deep dive into this!